Well, I just lost my whole post so here´s a summary:
- Disable any caching and minifying plugins
- Make sure all your external assets are loaded over
https(scripts, css files, images etc)
- Create a SSL-certificate (most hosting companies allow you to do this with the click of a mouse – thanks to https://letsencrypt.org/)
- Change all hardcoded URLs of your site that begin with
https. You´ll need to dive into the database to do this. I use this search and replace script, but you can also use Adminer or PhpMyAdmin. WPEngine has a list of where to look. Don´t forget to delete the script from your server when you´re done!
- If your site doesn’t redirect automatically from
https, add Apache redirects.
- Make sure everything works as expected.
- Change the URL in external services like analytics and monitoring sites.